Thursday, May 30, 2013

Motor City Comic Con thoughts and other things of the like

OK, so it's been waaaaaaay too long since I've posted and waaaaaay too long after Motor City Comic Con, but here's what I've been up to nonetheless.

On Saturday, May 4th I appeared at Wonderworld Comics in Taylor for Free Comic book Day.  It was a last minute thing for me as I was coming right off the coat tails of C2E2, but I figured why not.  Ended up being great day with a great turnout.  Other colleages of mine including Ted Woods, Bruce Gerlach, and Bill Pulkovski were set up as well and a great time was had by everyone who came out.  I will definitely do one of these again.


Next up was Motor City Comic Con at the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi.  This was my fourth time in the artist alley, and it was by far my best year, and best show to date.  The attendance was at an all-time high; mainly because Stan Lee was the main guest of honor and Norman Reedus was able to make it (he didn't make it last year due to Walking Dead filming obligations).  To put it in perspective, Saturday's attendance alone was the total attendance from the ENTIRE weekend last year. The great turnout was not without it's problems though; ridiculously long lines, along with the heat, made for a very uncomfortable wait for those in line, which in turn lead to short tempers.  I won't touch on the problems at this time, mainly because everything that could be said has been said.

Here are a few of the pictures I was able to take from the event:

 Myself and Mini Stan Lee.  She's now an internet sensation!  I actually bought the comic she and her brothers created and she even signed it as Mini Stan Lee; awesome.

 Lego Boba Fett costume
 My new banner

 I look pretty goofy, but whatevs.
 Mark I
 Michael Keaton sketch.
Even Bob Brisse came by to show me the autograph he got from the guy in Bruce Almighty who pulled a monkey out of his butt.
 My set up.
Good weekend.

I was joined by fellow artists Andrew Shirey, Jay Fosgitt, Bruce Gerlach, Bill Pulkovski, Jim Towe, Anne Garavaglia, and Kelly Nemzek; they all seemed to have a good turnout as well.  Big things are coming for all of them.

In other news, I recently wrapped up 30 sketch cards for the upcoming 'Civil War Chronicles' trading card set from Cult-Stuff which will be out soon.  I'll be posting my cards up soon.  I'm also finishing up cards for the 'Contemporary Pin-ups' sketch jam set.  This is unique because the cards will have TWO artists featured on each; either they split the card up by each drawing on one or the other side, or one will draw and ink everything and the other does the colors.  Once I have them all scanned, I'll post them as well; it was a very fun set to be a part of.

That's about it for right now.  'Til next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment