Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Detroit Fanfare 2011 Recap

Ren Cen.

Well, it's been a while since I've updated this and to be honest I was pretty burned out for a while after Fanfare. Looking back on the event, I have no complaints. It was even bigger than last year, and overall a much more enjoyable event. These conventions are learning experiences and there's so much to take in, but it's completely worth it in every aspect. I made some new connections, made some new friends, and took in alot of inspiration. This scruffy guy can't complain. Onto a few select shots...

Good ol' table set up. The thing is, my fellow artist and good friend Andrew Shirey and I were going to split a table, but during set up, one of the volunteers approached and informed us that the guy next to us cancelled, so we ended up having tables to ourselves. Win!

Myself, Kara Pierce (rad chick), and "Hollywood" Jay Shimko

Group shot of our crew (and some new friends) along with.....wait for it......Brian O'Halloran (Dante)!

My studly self along with Dante. Very cool guy!

Best Costume Award.

In other news:

-"My Father's Keeper", the short story I did coloring work for is FINALLY printing and should be available soon. I'll keep everyone posted. I've also begun the coloring work for the second part of the story.

-I'll be on a few upcoming sketch card sets from Strictly Ink which I'm pretty stoked about including The Avengers 50th Anniversary and Night of the Living Dead.


That's about it. Peace!

2 comments:

  1. Make sure you let me know Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a great time hanging out with you man! We have to do some more of the same conventions soon. Check out the info on that Long White Box Con I sent you. They've been updating the guest list and all the stuff they have going on at it, and it's looking pretty cool. I had every intention of doing it, especially since it's so close to our area, but it turns out I'm going to be out of town that weekend. Anyway, I definitely want to get a copy of My Father's Keeper, so I'll have my eyes glued to your blog!
    Oh, I gave a shout-out to your awesome artwork on a youtube video I posted recently, telling people to be on the lookout for your sketch cards on the upcoming NotLD & Avengers sets! Stiiiiillll waiting on my blanks for both btw, I hope they come soon 'cause they're going to take a while to do. I've been experimenting with primering the glossy cards with gesso and some sprays and whatnot to see if it helps at all with smudging and all that. It does a bit but I think I need to keep trying to find something else to primer it with because the stuff I've tried so far still leaves a sort of sticky slick feeling making every medium except paint a bit of a pain in the ass. I'd try sanding them if I wasn't so afraid to wreck them. If you look at my avengers preview cards on my blog you can see how I started experimenting with with coating the cards a bit. I even spray painted some grey and then drew on them with white prismacolor, it made for a neat look. You can't build up to a stark contrast with it though, the pencil only takes you so far with that surface. Anyway, I'm blabbing now. Later dude!

    ReplyDelete