Thursday, August 22, 2013

Wizard World Chicago thoughts

  Back once again with yet another thrilling post.  Two weeks ago I took part in the Wizard World Chicago comic convention at the Rosemont Convention Center in Rosement, Il.  It was a a huge show with many celebrities (such as Stan Lee, Zachary Quinto, Norman Reedus, and Chicago's own CM Punk), and a whole slew of artists, including yours truly.
  The layout of the show left much to be desired as it was split on two levels instead of everything on one floor, but that was due to double-booking the convention alongside a coin show.  Sigh.  The artists and celebs were on the ground floor and the vendors occupied the second floor which ending up confusing many people.  It also didn't help that the entrance to the artist alley/celebrity wing was split right in the middle of it, meaning for the most part, people would shoot straight to the stars, and if they were to go into artist alley, they would start to turn away by row G (we were in row J).  Because of that, business was pretty slow, and by Sunday, my table partner, John Marroquin thought it would be best to split up to separate tables due to there being quite a few of them.  After we split up, business picked up quite a bit, and thankfully I made up for my expenses which is the biggest hurdle to start with.
  The show wasn't my finest hour, but it was a helluva good time nonetheless as a few of my artist colleagues were in attendance and a few friends came into town.  Times like these make me really love what I do because I'm around people of the like which makes it all the more rewarding.
  I managed to snap a few pictures thanks to the power of Instagram:
 My half table set up.
 Decided to draw a few of the Ninja Turtles.  Here's my turtle doppelganger.

 Mikey.
 Bane.
 A Beatles convention took place at the hotel we were staying at and my friend Kelly Nemzek and myself snuck into a concert that was going on.  No, I didn't get arrested, just good timing with the camera.
 Davy Jones.  This was a lot of fun to draw.
 Scarecrow sketch cover.
Donatello.  One lucky kid walked away with this one.

  Next up for yours truly is the Art and Sole (no typo) festival in Grosse Pointe Woods Saturday, September 7th and Sunday, September 8th and a few other artists will be on hand as well.  We had a great time last year and raised money for the Belle Isle Aquarium and I did quite a few portraits for kids which was a ton of fun.  I'll post more details when I get them.

  My next convention appearance is the Detroit Fanfare Comic Convention at the Adoba Hotel in Dearborn, MI October 25, 26, & 27th.  I will also have more details as the show gets closer.

Until next time.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment